Thursday 20 February 2014

Western Scene Project: Hotel Environment


This Project was set to test our ability to model to a set Poly-count limit of 7500 Tris. I loved the project and it really helped me in regard to modular asset development and how to correctly produce texture maps (the texture maps I produced for this project are poor and it was from this project that I was made aware of how my process of texturing was incorrect and how to improve them in future).

We were presented with a variety of options as to which theme we had to produce, I chose western as in simplest terms are EPIC !!!

After researching reference and general themes for a ghost town western, and collecting existing references to modular assets if a western theme I decided to jump right into it.

Basic Google reference searches


Just a small taste of the reference used.

Follow the Link for the Full PDF Breakdown, Warning SPOLIER ALERT  : Western PDF  

During my research trawl I came across one image of an actual wooden model that I thought yeah straight away that's what I want to try and replicate. The design was so simple yet had an outwardly western theme
and atmosphere so I went ahead and decided to concept and idea I had mind.


Inspiring wooden Model

A quick concept of how I would like to produce a full scene with multiple buildings

Concept For the Hotel Idea

The base mesh wasn't too complex to produce and with a limit of 7500 I had to be economic with my modelling. The following wire frame shows how I tried to reduce the poly count where applicable, but yet use the ploy count limit effectively.





The following texture maps are god awful but I learned so much from producing and why they are wrong. I have since changed my ways and learned the correct way to texture and how to go about texturing. I look back at this project as a learning curve and have taken what I learned and continued it during further work.

My awful texture maps 1024x 1024

 Diffuse 1024x1024
 Specular 
Normal

Diffuse 512


Normal 512






The maps were not as successful as they could have been and they wasted a lot of texture space. After guidance from the tutor I managed to understand and learn more about the texturing process.

I tried to replicate a midday setting for the environment, using a three point light system. Overall I am pleased with the outcome but I learned a lot more and feel that I can improve this tenfold especially the texturing and also making the piece feel more credible.








Further breakdowns can be viewed in my PDF link and a more in depth evaluation. Here's a quick turnaround video of the final rendered scene with the accompaniment of the glorious MUSE !!







No comments:

Post a Comment