Sunday 16 February 2014

OUTMODE Asset Production: Car Piles

The car Piles will mark the boundaries to the playable area of the game, and the cars will be stacked and repeated. To break up repetition I decided to model 5 separate car meshes and then aim to produce multiple texture maps as to once again break the repetition but allow the same meshes use over again.

I gave myself a day to produce each car chassis. I made a start on Monday and had the five cars done by Friday, so I was on track and it pushed me to focus getting them done to a set time. I produced vehicles for my second year projects and it took me about a week each  on each vehicle and they were super high density models.

 The focus for these was for each of the meshes to be made as economically as possible and I can still go back and clean them up a bit more.  I still need to add seating and under axles, but these can be repeated in a few of the designs, so its case of going back and adding them a bit later.

I approached the models via planar extrusion a I found form trial and error in previous years I preferred this method, but for the pick up truck I decided to experiment with box modelling and got to grips with that workflow.




I tried to achieve a credible silhouette and refrained form going super high poly as to save memory 

The models will not be able to viewed close up and lay just outside the playable boundaries, so I focussed more on getting the shape and silhouettes looking correct to suggest a specific type of car. 

 Once satisfied I decided to try and stack each car and used soft selection to create areas where the cars would be deformed. These examples are just test as I will have to unwrap ad texture the cars and go back and deform them for the final model.

Quick stack test and manipulation to collapse roof and areas to replicate damage

From this quick stack I went ahead and tested creating something that may be seen in the game.


I like the way this worked and after discussing with the director he was pleased with the idea. The only thing left to do is the NIGHTMARE task of uv unwrapping....... Fun, Fun, Fun.

The poly count is quite high once stacked but I will go back and optimise the base meshes as best as possible to help lower the poly count.  





No comments:

Post a Comment