Monday 14 April 2014

Business Research: Bethesda Game Studios/ Bethesda Softworks


Bethesda Game Studios is an American in-house development team at Bethesda Softworks established in 2001. Previously synonymous with parent publisher Bethesda Softworks, the studio's name and logo were established with the release of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in 2002. The studio is currently led by executive producer Todd Howard. Bethesda Game Studios, Bethesda Softworks and ZeniMax Media all work in the same building.




Anyone who classes themselves as a “gamer” knows about The Elder Scrolls franchise, and these were produced by none other than Bethesda. The company have and amazing and incredible backlog of games, that at the time and still are mind blowing and most of all engaging. The style of Bethesda focusses mainly around ultra-dynamic RPG. Though early on they did have a faction that worked upon IHRA drag racing. The style of the RPGs differs between the franchises as Fallout as the name suggests is a more futuristic post-apocalyptic based game, whereas the Elders Scrolls are a classical Fantasy based game. From Rage, to Dishonoured the company keeps nailing high end immerser gaming experiences and all within their distinct style.


I haven’t played every game of the Fallout series but from the game I have played (Fallout 3 The one Bethesda worked on) I loved, and I know Bethesda the game takes a bit of getting use to and the now they seem dated, however the story and what you can achieve during the games are solely down to the player and how you decide you want to play the game. There isn't a correct way to play the game but there are main missions and your decisions as a player effect the game play.

The game is set late in the franchise, and the world is post-apocalyptic with mutants, and various other forms of estranged survivors, and raiders.

I loved the game play and how it was tactical and quite different to normal generic shooters and you can develop skills through trial and error.

I loved the settings it was kind of a ww2 American suburbs and I loved the different group and the way they looked as though made the best of what minerals they could find to make armour and other various other weapons.


I don’t know too much about the Fallout Franchise as despite enjoying the game it wasn't really my thing, but I do however know my stuff about The Elders Scrolls specifically V:Skyrim. I hadn't played the previous games prior to Skyrim, but after playing and losing my soul for about a good 6 months I went back and purchased previous versions of the game. The game a very different tone to that of Fallout and as I do love a bit of fantasy ( Massive LOTR and StarWars Fan) I become enthralled within the game, I didn't sleep for a good week, I barley ate and I became obsessed with it. I never get like that with a game. Somehow it captivated me and not only with the wide open world, the hundreds playable sub missions and thousands of possible ways to play ensure despite there being a main mission no one person will have the same playable experience to someone else playing the game.


I don’t think I have ever been a RPG fan but this game got me into the narrative it made me okay and most of all maintained my interest. If I were to class myself as a game I do love action/ adventure puzzle games but I am a competitive shooter guy myself. This game managed to make me consider my choice of actions and really explore the game.





The main reason for working at Bethesda would be to work on an Elder Scrolls game as an assets/ environment modeller, the diversity and complexity of the game ensure that every object and setting can be accessed at some stage. The environments alone are beautiful and it would take you a couple of hours to just explore the entirety of the map that’s with a horse. Every weapon, villain and Dragon is just incredible and I’d love to be able to contribute towards such an amazing franchise with in an incredible company.




No comments:

Post a Comment