Wednesday 9 April 2014

OUTMODE Assets: COMPLETED PROJECT

Its been a while since my last post but for Good reason, I have been a very busy bee and managed to complete everything for the project. With the deadline I set myself looming I decided to finish and get the assets functioning into the games engine. There were a few problematic areas and after addressing the various issues found its too long since my last post

The last couple of weeks have been a cycle of MODEL< TEXTURE<  RENDER < REPEAT not much time for sleep at all. However I managed to grasp an understanding of importing and setting  up work within the UDK engine. I have learned how to create custom collision meshes, and how to ensure these work correctly within engine. Needless to say with any games engine software the bugs are what took up most of my time fixing.

For this I project I created an array of simple and complex assets, and it would have taken the director a while to work out each material and where to assign it to on each model. In order to save him some time and introduce myself to the UDK editor software, I  spent a week setting up packages so that all he had to do after receiving the file was drag and drop them into place. It took me a week because of labelling and testing all of the assets and also learning what I was doing as I was going along.

I handed all the packages over to the director and then began my next project of completing the BI-Plane project.

Below are the final presentations sheets  for each asset. I learned how to use the software Marmoset Toolbag 2  as on forums it was recommended for games assets as it has the capability of showing real-time renders and it renders out high quality work quickly. It did not disappoint. The software saved me hours of render time, the amount of control you have over lighting and textures within the software is incredible and it is shown in real time, no need to wait for slow renders and then tweaking.

The Assets:








Trams & Mine Karts :

Cranes:
Cars:



So it was nice to finally see a light at the end of the tunnel for this project, but rendering and creating videos ate up a load of time and has set me back a few days on other deadlines but I am sure I will be able to catch up.

I made and effort to spend more time getting each render to a good standard ready for my website as I am starting to get a lot of work out of the projects I have completed. There will be in engine videos to come as well as individual turnaround videos when the finally upload.

I am glad I tackled this project first as it has warmed me up and made me aware of techniques that I wouldn't have known about if not for completing this project. You can see through out I also improved from asset to asset and I personally feel more confident with texturing despite my earlier maps not exactly being perfect. I have produced work that overall I feel happy with, despite knowing there are key areas I can improve still. I aim to take what I learned further  in my next project and improve on areas of weakness.

Please let me know what you think any crits and comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment