Thursday 13 March 2014

OUTMODE Asset Production: Cars Textured

Its taken me a bit longer than expected but I managed to texture the cars ready for the game. I ran into a bit of trouble with the the UV's but I had to go back and redo some work so it set me back a little. However I cracked on and got there eventually.

Starting Base Flat Colours

I approach texturing by adding flat base colour and working out where the corresponding uv shells  are on the map. As I went back to the UV process I learned more about correctly unwrapping and laying them out. I unwrapped all my models internally in Maya 2014 and Painted Textures in Photoshop.

The cars are going to sit just outside the playable boundaries and the player will not get extremely close to the models even so I had to try and replicate a fairly realistic feel to the piece.


Once I applied colour flats I worked on the details and developed the rust and damage layers. I decided to try and make the car feel as though you could inhale the dust and grime off them so I went over the top with the rust and weathering effects.




I continued to experiment with variation of marks and levels of contrast with the details until I was fairly happy. I went back over details to try and make them more credible and conform to the weathering and ageing process.





For some final touches I added some bullet holes and played about with the size and frequency. I decided to keep them small and wide spread as the model looked more like a dalmatian dog when they were larger.

 I repeated the process for the other 4 cars but I wont kill you with words but here are the result.


Larda 






a quick size comparison to the Pick-up Truck.


Audi 





Jeep





Van



After Producing a Single texture map I was able to rapidly produce another variation just by filling in a block colour over another layer. I made three variations for each vehicles and to try and break the repetition of the same textures during the game. I made sure the colours were quite bland and not extremely bright as to try and fit with the scrapyard theme.

Below Images show colour variations and testing.






The Variations of each Vehicle

After producing the textures I then went and scaled the models down to the correct size and started experimenting with  positioning them in a wall like structure like previously posted. The long wall may have to be broken into a few smaller sections and perhaps I can go back and make these sections tile across the map.






When I complete the Normal and specularity maps will upload the finished texture sheets along side the effects on each model. The next stage is to export the work and get them into engine and then finally tackle the rest of the assets left to finish. Once I clarify with the director I will also have to go and create collision meshes for the assets and export these alongside the models.

Personally feel that the project is coming along well, I will crack on with the other assets and hopefully by the end of next week will have a majority of the work finished and ready to upload.









No comments:

Post a Comment