This Project was set to test our ability to model to a set Poly-count limit of 7500 Tris. I loved the project and it really helped me in regard to modular asset development and how to correctly produce texture maps (the texture maps I produced for this project are poor and it was from this project that I was made aware of how my process of texturing was incorrect and how to improve them in future).
We were presented with a variety of options as to which theme we had to produce, I chose western as in simplest terms are EPIC !!!
After researching reference and general themes for a ghost town western, and collecting existing references to modular assets if a western theme I decided to jump right into it.
Basic Google reference searches
Just a small taste of the reference used.
Follow the Link for the Full PDF Breakdown, Warning SPOLIER ALERT : Western PDF
During my research trawl I came across one image of an actual wooden model that I thought yeah straight away that's what I want to try and replicate. The design was so simple yet had an outwardly western theme
and atmosphere so I went ahead and decided to concept and idea I had mind.
Inspiring wooden Model
A quick concept of how I would like to produce a full scene with multiple buildings
Concept For the Hotel Idea
The base mesh wasn't too complex to produce and with a limit of 7500 I had to be economic with my modelling. The following wire frame shows how I tried to reduce the poly count where applicable, but yet use the ploy count limit effectively.
The following texture maps are god awful but I learned so much from producing and why they are wrong. I have since changed my ways and learned the correct way to texture and how to go about texturing. I look back at this project as a learning curve and have taken what I learned and continued it during further work.
My awful texture maps 1024x 1024
The maps were not as successful as they could have been and they wasted a lot of texture space. After guidance from the tutor I managed to understand and learn more about the texturing process.
I tried to replicate a midday setting for the environment, using a three point light system. Overall I am pleased with the outcome but I learned a lot more and feel that I can improve this tenfold especially the texturing and also making the piece feel more credible.
Further breakdowns can be viewed in my PDF link and a more in depth evaluation. Here's a quick turnaround video of the final rendered scene with the accompaniment of the glorious MUSE !!